Inspiration taken from Greatist article 50 BODYWEIGHT EXERCISES YOU CAN DO ANYWHERE by Laura Schwecherl
20 seconds Tuck Jumps, 10 second break.
20 seconds Inch Worm Push-Ups, 10 second break.
20 seconds Squat Jumps, 10 second break.
20 seconds Bicycle Crunches, 10 second break.
Repeat for a total of 4 minutes.
- Avoid school lunches, instead keep an eye out for this! “Lunch Box Battle: New Take on Lunch Kits with a Healthy Twist” by Abbie Boudreau
- Get the kids involved in planning meals for the week/taste test games
- College Campus – Salad bar, fruit smoothies with protein = best options/choices
- Long day, teacher/student breaks, go for a tea/snack rather than catching up on your Facebook/Twitter feed
- Avoid sugary drinks – opt for soda/water
- Try to stick to tea instead of coffee
- Listen to your body, as always – when you are overly stressed you shouldn’t stress it more
- Take your workouts in stride, don’t cut calories too much – cortisol = stress hormone
- Get enough sleep
- Plan, plan, plan – can’t stress this enough – don’t leave it up to chance!
- Try a “Make Your own Sundae Night” with your family/dorm to unwind on a Friday night after a long week and have some healthy fun with your kids or roommates!
- Use FroYo, Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Soy Ice Cream or whatever you like, substitute fruit, nuts, gluten free cookies, dark chocolate, fresh whipped cream & healthy toppings! Enjoy!
Kettlebell Kickboxing – The Body Series, 11 Disc DVD set, nutrition guide & full training program – Get it HERE!
We also spoke about your September Fitness Horoscopes – check it out here
Check out this article: Back to School Fitness for Parents – by William Lewis, Certified Personal Trainer
Greatist Online Article – “Why the Freshman 15 is a Lie” by Sophia Breene.
Time to hit the books, but avoid packing on the pounds – check out this article on college’s dreaded “Freshman 15″!
Organic Roasted Chicken
1 (4- to 5-pound) whole organic free range chicken, neck and giblets removed from the cavity
1 tablespoon olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
5 cloves garlic
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
Fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, or thyme (optional)
Carrots/Shallots for around chicken in pan
1. Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
2. Place the chicken on a work surface or cutting board and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut off and discard any extra fat hanging around the body cavity.
3. Drizzle the oil on the chicken and rub it all over the skin. Season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Place the lemon, garlic and herbs inside the cavity, if using. We also place carrots & shallots around the chicken and drizzle with olive oil and season with herbs/spices. Place the chicken breast-side up in a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet.
4. Roast the chicken in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and continue roasting until the juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the inner thigh (but not touching the bone) registers 165°F, about 50 minutes to 1 hour more.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven and place on a cutting board. Let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
4 cups of bagged cabbage & carrots
½ cup chopped carrot
1 cup diced green apple
1/2 cup Paleo Mayo
Sea Salt, Fresh Black Pepper, Celery Salt, Dill Weed, Savory, Season Salt – to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss all of the salad ingredients together. Enjoy!
⅔ cup avocado oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place all mayo ingredients in a tall container, put immersion blender to the bottom of the container and turn on. Keep immersion blender on until the oil turns to a white color and into mayo. Should take just a little over 30 seconds, if that!
Sweet Potato Home Fries
Baked Sweet Potatoes (Prepped earlier in week)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Cut sweet potatoes and onions into cubes/large chunks.
2. Sautee onions in olive oil until they start to cook down.
3. Add sweet potatoes and season according to taste.
4. Cook until combined, fragrant & desired temperature. Enjoy!
We also spoke about, 10 HEALTHY BACK-TO-SCHOOL LUNCH RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WEB found on Greatist, by Sophia Breene! Enjoy!