Organic Roasted Chicken
1 (4- to 5-pound) whole organic free range chicken, neck and giblets removed from the cavity
1 tablespoon olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
5 cloves garlic
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
Fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, or thyme (optional)
Carrots/Shallots for around chicken in pan
1. Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
2. Place the chicken on a work surface or cutting board and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut off and discard any extra fat hanging around the body cavity.
3. Drizzle the oil on the chicken and rub it all over the skin. Season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Place the lemon, garlic and herbs inside the cavity, if using. We also place carrots & shallots around the chicken and drizzle with olive oil and season with herbs/spices. Place the chicken breast-side up in a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet.
4. Roast the chicken in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and continue roasting until the juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the inner thigh (but not touching the bone) registers 165°F, about 50 minutes to 1 hour more.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven and place on a cutting board. Let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
4 cups of bagged cabbage & carrots
½ cup chopped carrot
1 cup diced green apple
1/2 cup Paleo Mayo
Sea Salt, Fresh Black Pepper, Celery Salt, Dill Weed, Savory, Season Salt – to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss all of the salad ingredients together. Enjoy!
⅔ cup avocado oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place all mayo ingredients in a tall container, put immersion blender to the bottom of the container and turn on. Keep immersion blender on until the oil turns to a white color and into mayo. Should take just a little over 30 seconds, if that!
Sweet Potato Home Fries
Baked Sweet Potatoes (Prepped earlier in week)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Cut sweet potatoes and onions into cubes/large chunks.
2. Sautee onions in olive oil until they start to cook down.
3. Add sweet potatoes and season according to taste.
4. Cook until combined, fragrant & desired temperature. Enjoy!
We also spoke about, 10 HEALTHY BACK-TO-SCHOOL LUNCH RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WEB found on Greatist, by Sophia Breene! Enjoy!